(Redlands, CA) – Do you have old electronics cluttering up your home? Habitat for Humanity will host an event to help you get rid of them responsibly – absolutely free of charge.
Habitat for Humanity is teaming up with All Green Electronics Recycling to host an electronic recycling event on Saturday, February 9, 2013 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, 25948 Business Center Dr. in Redlands.
“The event is free and open to anyone who is interested in disposing their e-waste in a safe and secure environment. Plus, everyone who recycles e-waste will receive one free raffle ticket! Raffle prizes from the ReStore stock will be given out all day,” said Rhea Stumm, manager of the Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
What is e-waste? That old laptop in your hall closet, that VCR you haven’t used since you got the new DVD player, the dust-covered monitor in your garage, or basically anything with a plug that is unused, obsolete or non-working.
E-waste contains heavy metals such as lead, mercury, chromium, cadmium, and zinc that contaminate our soil and water, and is responsible for 70 percent of all heavy metals found in landfills today. A recent report by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says e-waste in landfills will grow four-fold over the next five years.
“All Green Electronics Recycling strives to make responsible electronics recycling easy and efficient. We are a full-service electronics recycler,” said Arman Sadeghi, founder and CEO of All Green Electronics Recycling.
All Green Electronics Recycling currently collects over one million pounds of electronics each month and has the capacity to process up to 100 million pounds of electronic waste per year.
According to Sadeghi, all of the electronics All Green Electronics Recycling collects are processed in North America using their processing center and other responsible recycler partner facilities. “All Green recycles everything they accept and never send anything overseas for processing.”
Sadeghi estimates that about 40 percent of the All Green’s inbound material stream is reused while the remaining 60 percent enters All Green’s end-of-life recycling system.
For your protection the internal memory and hard drives in all computers, cell phones, copy machines, fax machines and printers are shredded or triple wiped.
For hard drives that can be sold to the reuse market, All Green uses “triple-pass and seven-pass hard drive wipes,” says Sadeghi. “Those are very secure and can be almost as secure as shredding. The drive is hooked up to a machine and it erases and rewipes the disk several times,” he explains. “The reason for the seven passes is that many years ago the Department of Defense (DOD) stated that’s what they felt was necessary, and it has stuck.”
Habitat for Humanity encourages community and businesses to clean out their garage, storage or attic and donate their old electronics to a good cause.
“Bring all of your old electronics to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, including: computers, monitors, televisions, printers, mobile phones, laptops, DVD players, VCRs, microwaves, calculators, iPods, cables and wires, telephones, fax machines, scanners, computer parts, and more,” said Stumm.
For those that cannot make it to the event the ReStore accepts e-waste Tuesday through Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at 25948 Business Center Drive in Redlands, CA 92374.
For more information call 909-478-1176 or visit www.HabitatSB.org. For more information on All Green Electronics Recycling go to www.allgreenrecycling.com
About Habitat for Humanity San Bernardino Area, Inc.
Habitat for Humanity San Bernardino Area is the local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a faith-based nonprofit organization that works in partnership with families to strengthen communities and transform lives by building new homes, rehabilitating existing homes, and making affordable home ownership a reality for community members in need.
The San Bernardino Area affiliate serves the communities of Redlands, Loma Linda, Fontana, San Bernardino, Highland, Yucaipa, Colton, Bloomington, Rialto, Grand Terrace, Mentone, Running Springs, Lake Arrowhead, Apple Valley and Victorville.
To find out more about Habitat for Humanity, call 909-478-1176 or visit www.HabitatSB.org. We also ask you to LIKE us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/habitatsb.