Time for Norris P Gregory Park
(San Bernardino, Calif.). There is a nomination for naming the 2.5 acre multi-use park on E Street between 9th and 10th streets, Norris P. Gregory Park.
The park will be maintained by the San Bernardino Valley Municipal Water District. It will have sitting areas, an outdoor fitness exercise area, playgrounds, picnic areas, basketball court, skateboard area, multi-use field, walkways and splash pad.
It is being built with a $5 million grant and will be ready for use at the beginning of 2017. Below is a bullet list of accomplishments for Mr. Gregory who died in 2002.
Norris Paige Gregory, Jr.
• He was a resident of San Bernardino from 1958 to his death at the age of 85 in 2011
• Elected and served as San Bernardino City’s first African American councilman also making him the first African American elected official in San Bernardino County.
• Served the 6th Ward for 2 terms starting in 1967 to 1975
• He was a member of the NAACP, the Urban League, the Mexican Chamber of Commerce as well as the VFW and American Legion
• The San Bernardino and California Teachers Associations and an Honorary Mason.
• He owned a business up until his death on the Westside.
• He served with the Redevelopment Agency
• He was an assistant district administrator for the office of Congressman George E. Brown, Jr.
• He was a teacher and administrator for San Bernardino City Unified School district
• He was an activist working for improving the underserved and minorities in San Bernardino
“I am trying to collect 100 signatures from San Bernardino residents’” said Vera Campbell . “I have an application to fill out and then I turn it in for City Council to approve. I don’t think there is much competition but getting those 100 signatures is proving difficult. I started something that I will see to the end. My phone number is 909-804-1021 if you have suggestions.”